LIVES AND WORKS
LIVES AND WORKS
Jürgen Eichler deals with light and art and creates three-dimensional colored light structures in space. They reflect special properties of light that are rarely used in art: coherence and interference. These three-dimensional images are made possible by the technique of holography using self-made photosensitive films. The holograms are combined with computer-processed photos. Thus, interference colors are mixed with normal colors. The 3D light structures and colors change depending on the position of the observer.
His holograms are about the nature of light, the different colors in space and the effects on the eye and brain. It is about the properties of seeing and the question of the reality of what is seen. The holograms have interdisciplinary connections to painting and graphics, photography and sculpture.
His studio Hololab is located at the University of BHT-Berlin. Various applications in design and art are realized there. The holographic film material is self-made and the variation of the production process is part of the artistic work. Jürgen Eichler is professor of physics and author of several articles and textbooks on physics, lasers and holography.
His holograms have been shown at various exhibitions:
- Research market Berlin (2013, 2015, 2019)
- "Coherence and Incoherence" and "Holographic Embodiment" in the Holocenter, New York (2017 and 2019)
- Contribution at the symposium "The future of holographic art", ZKM Karlsruhe (2018)
- "Percepcoes", "Dimensoes da Arte","Brasil", MBlois Gallery, Rio de Janeiro (2018, 2020, 2023)
- "Radical Crafts 1" and "Radical Crafts 2" , Direktorenhaus Berlin (2019/20, 2020/21)
- "Light Windows" with Holocenter, New York (2020, 2021)
- "Ornaments" Direktorenhaus Berlin (2023)
WHO I AM
Light and Art: Using Holography I am creating 3D light paintings in combination with graphics.
CONTACT THE ARTIST