LIVES AND WORKS
LIVES AND WORKS
DATE OF BIRTH
I am a self-taught fine arts photographer who incorporates architectural elements giving a new dimension to document photography in the most unique way. My photographs are highly detailed and lyrical in quality. My approach to photography sets me apart from others. I prefer to shoot in ambient light, as I firmly believe that it reflects the true character of the design.
My work is slowly produced, as inspiration strikes. I have worked on this collection for more than 2 years. I am drawn to architectural spaces where history seems to seep through its bones. The photos reveal the soul of the structures and the impact of the passage of time and experience have witnessed empires grow and fall. The photos are a result of images that arise in my mind and are subjectively experienced reality of the architectural form and its appearance.
While being true to the built environment, the images reveal an emotional landscape, a psychological dimension that is beyond the stone reality. Through digital manipulation I work on the images and the result is a vision of the monument that stops just short of being psychedelic. Rather than hiding reality, I am able to enhance the true nature of structure, not only how it looks but also how it feels to be in its presence. The images speak of how I felt and not just what I saw.
The photographs are shot in a way that the grandeur and awe inspiring quality of the monument are revealed. Compositions highlight angles that recede in to the background or climb towards sky. In the images, there seems to be something just beyond the picture plane, beyond the structure. A mystery yet to be solved.
My photographic work is shaped by my background as a dancer. I have danced since the age of 5 years old, and have choreographed for last 20 years. With the mind of a dance choreographer, I look at the subject through my camera lens like a stage with artists, props and set pieces. In this way, I compose my photographs to tell a story that is about different components in relation to one another and in movement. I try to create a sense of interaction of different elements in the foreground and background. I play with a sense of three-dimensional and two-dimensional elements to create a composition that is both abstract and realistic. The resulting image is both an external and internal reality.
My bodies of work include Angkor Wat, Italy and France, Bhutan and Goa.
Dec 2018 Solo Show in association with Goa Arts and Literature Festival, ‘Ecclesiastical Goa: 16th and 17th Century Churches’, St Francis of Assisi Church, Old Goa from 5th Dec to 14th Dec 2018.
14 Dec 2019to 14 Feb 2020 Participating in Goa Affordable Arts Festival, GAAF 19 with my collection, ‘Sacred Spaces : Moments in Time’.
Present Projects: Writing a book ‘Traversing Enshrined Ganges’ on ancient Hindu temples and Buddhist monasteries in the state of Uttar Pradesh in Northern India.
Dec 7, 2018 Speaker at Goa Arts and Literature Festival, 2018 on ‘Ecclesiastical Goa: 16th and 17th Century Churches’.
· Freelance Photographer since 2012.
· Fine Art Photography of sacred spaces, landscapes and architectural photography. Produced bodies of work on Architecture in Italy, France, Goa and Angkor Wat.
· Band portfolios, portfolios for musicians and DJs, portrait shoots, jewelry and product shoot.
· Concert, theatre and dance photography.
· A trained Kathak and Chau Dancer. Performed in major dance festivals across India 1999 – 2005.
· A Choreographer and a Show Director since 2006.
· Consultant Dietician to Camp for under 16 yrs players, Delhi District Cricket Association, Firoz Shah Kotla, Delhi from 2009 to 2011.
· Wrote a monthly column in Gloria (A Lifestyle Magazine) on Nutrition 2009- 2010
· Clinic at Aastha Hospital, Daryaganj, Delhi between 2006- 2012.
· Senior Executive, Marketing at Dewan Kraft Systems Pvt. Ltd handling marketing of Effluent Treatment Plants for townships. 1998 - 2004
· Self taught Fine Arts Photographer
· BSc. (Gen.) Industrial Chemistry, Delhi University, 1996
· Masters in Environment Protection, Indian Institute of Ecology and Environment, 1998
Software Expertise :
· Adobe CC Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom 5 for MAC.
· Canon EOS 5D Mark III, accessories, filters, different lenses and techniques
· Planet Goa Magazine, Jan 2019 Issue, on page no. 76, 77, #artscape, ‘Artfull’, by Samira Sheth.
· Viva Goa, Dec 15 2018 – Feb 2019 Issue, Pg No. 116, 117, Architectural History Framed a Photo Feature by Pooja Boopathy.
· Goa Today, Jan 2019 Issue, Pg 47, A Photo Show, Capturing History for Posterity by Annalie Gracias.
Date of Birth
23rd August 1975
299 Gagan Vihar,
New Delhi 110051
Mobile No. +91 98103 24945
Instagram : payaldewankakkar
Facebook Link : https://www.facebook.com/PayalkakkarPhotography/
WHO I AM
Fine Arts Architectural Photographer
CONTACT THE ARTIST